A Frankenstein inspired dessert mashing apple pie and cinnamon rolls in a flakey, gooey apple pie filled roll with notes of citrus and a rich cinnamon flavor.
■Apple Pie Filling■
•1 gala and 1 granny diced in 1/2 inch cubes
•1 orange zested and juiced
•1/2 cup dark brown sugar
•2 teaspoons Cinnamon
•1 teaspoon butter
•pinch of salt
•1 teaspoon Brain & Body by Host Defense (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in sauce pan, reserving 1/2 orange juice for later in recipe.
2. Bring to low boil, stirring often and cook until apples are soft and sauce have thickened. Set aside to cool.
■Reduced Sugar Cinnamon Rolls■
(Essential a basic cinnamon roll recipe with no sugar combined into dough. You could use your favorite recipe with or without sugar)
•1/4 cup luke warm water with 1 tsp sugar
• 2 teaspoons active yeast
- Combine yeast with luke warm sugar water and allow to bloom.
•1/4 cup buttermilk ( I did 1/4 cup whole milk and added 1 tablespoon of fresh orange juice, then allowed to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes)
- double this and use half for the dough and the other half to pour over rolls before baking.
•2 1/2 cups flour
•pinch of salt
2. Once combined, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency is reached. You want it to be a drier dough with little stickiness to it. It should form and hold a ball shape well.
3. Once dough is proper consistency, form into a ball and place into a clean bowl, cover with towel or lightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm location until it has doubled in size.
4. While dough rises, dice 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter into pea sized chunks.
Toss butter with 2 teaspoon cinnamon. Place cini butter cubes in freezer until in use.
5. Once dough has doubled in size, portion into 4 equal pieces. Roll each portion into a rectangular sheet about 1/4 inch tall.
6. Once rolled, layer cini butter between each sheet, sealing edges. Once all layers are combined with cini butter between, roll the sheet into 1/2 inch rectangle.
7. Fold each side of rectangle toward center such as you would fold a letter. This will create even more flakey layers. You can repeat this process a couple times, keep butter cold by sticking dough into freezer between folding and rolling. Cold butter will ensure layers.
8. When you have your desired layers, start spooning Apple filling onto dough sheet, leaving1/2 inch around edges.
9. Start rolling dough away from you to encompass Apple filling in dough and creating a pinwheel or cini roll log.
10. Portion log into 12 even pieces. Place into greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Allow dough to rise again until it has close to doubled in size. Pour buttermilk over rolls baking at 350° F for about 40 minutes.
■Valenece & Cream Icing■
Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 2 drops Valencene terpene isolate by True Terpenes and a splash if whole milk. Pour over slightly cooled cini rolls.
*to incorporate cannabis you could use 1 gram 1:1 THC:CBD cannabis oil (RSO/FECO) at 35% cannabinoid content to achieve approximately 29mg THC: 29mg CBD per roll. This is very approximate, as each roll does not have the exact same amount of icing. It is about 21mg THC: 21mg CBD per tablespoon of icing. ■incorporate cannabis oil into icing well, until completely combined■